Houston is a large, diverse, and exciting place to visit.
One of the many reasons people love Houston is the wide variety of activities and opportunities. From sporting events, to the beach, to cultural museum, Houston has it all.
Not to mention, the great food!
Houston is also a great place for families to visit due to the many kid-friendly options. You can easily spend a week in Houston and still have a whole list of things you want to do the next time you visit! (And that’s exactly what happened to us!)
Here are a few of my favorite Houston area destinations for families:
- 1. Children’s Museum of Houston: Throughout our travels, we’ve experienced a lot of children’s museums. However, the one in Houston remains in my memories as being the best. The Museum contains tons of hands on exhibits for kids of all ages.
- 2. Galveston: An adorable island community located on the Gulf of Mexico, Galveston offers many family activities in addition to the beach. From amusement parks, to state parks the island is diverse in entertainment offerings. It’s also full of charm and history.
- 3. Space Center: If you’ve ever followed space travel or even watched a movie about astronauts, the word “Houston” should stand out. It’s used in communication between the astronauts and the command center. Guests can learn all about the past and the future of the American space program.
- 4. Downtown Aquarium: What do you get when you cross a train ride with a fish tank? The answer is the Downtown Aquarium AND a lot of happy children! Along with many other awesome exhibits, the aquarium offers a train ride through the center of a 200,000 gallon tank of sharks!
- 5. Sporting Event: Houston is home to 6 professional sports teams including the: Astros (MLB), Texans (NFL), Rockets (NBA), Dynamo (MLS), Dash (NWSL), and the Scrap Yard Dogs (NPF.) Additionally, the city has many minor league and college teams. So even if you aren’t able to make it to the Super Bowl this year, you should be able to catch a game in the city!
- 6. USS Texas: As an active battle ship during both World Wars, the USS Texas is rich in history and significance. Guests are able to tour the ship and imagine life aboard the decks during wartime.
- 7. Bayou Wildlife Zoo: This thrilling park gives guests the opportunity to go on a safari with animals from 19 different countries without ever leaving the US. Ride through the 80 acre preserve on a specially built tram. You are able to feed many of the 500 exotic animals. The Bayou Wildlife Zoo even offers a petting zoo and pony rides.
What is your favorite thing to do in Houston, Texas?
You might also enjoy reading:
Be sure to pin this post:
*This post may contain affiliate links. By making a purchase after clicking through a link, Mom With A Map will receive a commission.