Here are a few fun travel facts to enjoy today:
- At any single moment in the United States, there are at least 61 thousand people in airplanes on or above the country. Yes, you read that right- that number isn’t an average- it’s a MINIMUM! Crazy to think about, huh?
- The largest hotel in the world is currently The First World Hotel in Pahang, Malaysia. It currently has 7,351 guest rooms and an extensive lifestyle mall featuring restaurants and shops.
- According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the longest road in the world- The Pan-American Highway- is 30,000 miles long and runs straight through the United States. The road begins up in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska and runs all the way to Ushuaia, Argentina. Interestingly enough, although it’s considered the longest motorable road- there is actually a 100 mile gap only passable by ferry between Central and South America.
- For over 20 years in a row, Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson Airport has been named the “Busiest Airport In The World.” While this title may come as no surprise to anyone who’s ever traveled through- the numbers are CRAZY. In 2016 more than 106 MILLION passengers traveled through the airport. Most experts believe that this is due to Atlanta being within a 2 hour flight from 80% of the US population.
- Speaking of airports, the United States is home to 1/3 of the world’s airports. This is the most of any single country. There are 15,095 total in the US, but only 5,194 are paved! Of all the states, Alaska has the most airports (however, the majority found in Alaska are just landing strips- not a major airport for commercial flights!)
Do all these fun travel facts make you want to go somewhere?
If you enjoyed reading these fun travel facts, you might also enjoy reading our family’s recent travel misadventures.