On Sunday February 4th the New England Patriots will play the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl 52. This year’s match-up will take place in the chilly city of Minneapolis, Minnesota. (Fortunately, they have a brand new, state-of-the-art dome!)
Thousands of people will descend on the city for the game. Not to mention there will undoubtedly be lots of TV coverage highlighting the city itself. So as a preview for those either attending the game or who will be watching, here are some highlights about Minneapolis.
- The Mall of America is larger than 78 football fields! At one point it was the largest mall in the US.
- Right now the city is packed with football players; however, it’s actually home to the most golfers per capita in America.
- The first bridge ever built across the Mississippi River is found there.
- The Pillsbury Company was founded in Minneapolis in 1872 (yum!)
- The “Quietest Place on Earth” according to the Guinness Book Of World Records is Orfield Laboratories located there.
- In 2012 the city began hosting an annual Internet Cat Video Festival (PLEASE don’t share this information with my daughter…this festival is NOT on my bucket list! HA!)
- The Honeycrisp Apple was invented at The University of Minnesota.
If Super Bowl LII inspires you to visit the area soon, here are some attractions you won’t want to miss:
- Minnehaha Falls
- Mall of America
- Walker Art Center and Sculpture Garden
- Jucy Lucy (apparently this is a bucket list food experience for the burger lover!)
- Science Museum of Minnesota
- Mill City Museum
- Target Field (Home of the MLB team, Minnesota Twins)
- Minnesota Children’s Museum
Will you be watching Super Bowl LII?
If you enjoyed this post you may also like reading: