So we did a thing.
We dreamed big. Prayed a lot. Worked hard. Sacrificed often. Trusted God. Made plans. And then somehow, through the most unexpected series of circumstances we find our family living full time on a boat.
Yep, you read that right. We live on a boat now.
For those interested in how we ended up living on a boat, here’s the highlight reel of details:
- Brent and I both grew up on the water. In college we dreamed of owning a boat. But life happened and we spent more time growing our family and careers than focusing on our dreams.
- Almost 5 years ago, with our family complete and our roots planted firmly in Charlotte, NC we began to think about the next chapter. We had no concrete ideas, but prayed that in 5 years we could make significant changes that would include travel and boat ownership.
- Let me state again, we literally had NO ideas, plans or steps for making this dream lifestyle a reality. But what we did have was a date. May 2020. It fell on our hearts and we couldn’t shake it. Originally, that date seemed forever away. And more recently, that date seemed to approach too quickly.
- In the last 5 years we’ve turned our passion for travel into a business. We’ve made the switch from traditional schooling to “worldschooling.” We learned about something called America’s Great Loop. Then we bought a boat. And we made plans sell our house and build a new one. But this is where the story gets interesting…
- The spring of 2020 looked very different than anyone could imagine due to Coronavirus. Our house sold in 1 day on the market. Brent’s job went to a mandatory remote status.
- And before we knew it we found ourselves living on a boat in May 2020. The exact timing that was put on our heart 5 years earlier.
So as I said at the beginning, this was a big dream. And achieving it took a lot of prayer, work, and patience. The story is crazier than we ever could have imagined or planned. God worked in a million details to bring this seemingly impossible set of circumstances to a reality for us.
But here we are, living on a boat. And our plan is to travel America’s Great Loop. I’m quick to acknowledge that those are OUR plans, and we’ll just have to see where this crazy journey takes us!
If you’ve already been following Mom With A Map, you know that we love to share our travel adventures and misadventures. Naturally, when we decided to live on a boat we knew we’d document it all.
Thanks for following along on what promises to be a crazy journey!
It’s also very helpful to us when you share:
If you’re new here, get to know us better by checking out some of our favorite non-boating travel adventures:
*This post may contain affiliate links. By making a purchase after clicking on a link, Mom With A Map may receive a commission. Please see our disclosure policy for more information.